Positive Mental Wellbeing
Thu Jul 2 2020
Life for everyone has changed dramatically over the past couple of months and is currently full on uncertainties. The effect of these adjustments can create ‘the fear of the unknown’ and have a negative effect on our mental health. By structuring our days as much as possible it provides a greater sense of control and creates an important positive well being for effective functioning.
Keeping to a healthy routine to your best ability during this time can be really helpful. This might include:
- Getting regular exercise, especially walking
- Keeping regular sleep routines
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet
- Avoiding excess alcohol
- Practicing relaxation techniques like breathing exercises
- Taking time away from social media and the news
- Read a book
- Improve your mood by doing something creative
- Stay connected to others through email, phone call, skype, text.
- Keep your mind active – take this opportunity to learn something new.
- Giving back to support people – volunteering your time to people in need.
Having trouble sleeping? Here are some tips on improving your sleeping pattern:
- Mental Health Ireland – https://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/sleep-during-tough-times/
- Sleep Foundation – https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-guidelines-covid-19-isolation
Step out of your comfort zone- Host a virtual connect Café – https://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2463-MHI-VIRTUAL-Connect-Cafe-A4_v2-1.pdf
Below are some online resources for mental health wellbeing during Covid-19.
- HSE – https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/covid-19/minding-your-mental-health-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak.html
- Text 50808 – https://text50808.ie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6pbarZ6n6gIVlYBQBh0igg-eEAAYASAAEgJLc_D_BwE
- Mental Health Ireland – https://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/get-support/covid19/#family-wellbeing
- The Wellness Crew – https://www.thewellnesscrew.ie/7-every-day-ways-mind-mental-health/
- Spotify – RTE Brainstorm – Coronavirus: 5 tips to mind your mental Health during the lockdown.
- Spotify – The Coronavirus Ireland Podcast – Mental Health Resilience – Professor James Lucey on how to stay positive.
Webinar – Jigsaw online – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeoH6mTXulA